Monday, April 15, 2013

Learning How to Love

One of the beautiful things about life is the change we can know inside-out as we allow our outlook and actions to be bettered by what we experience. Someone said reality checks never bounce. I wish this were true for many; I believe when we fail to profit personally and love more fervently for the things we encounter in our lives, the reality checks of life do bounce.
Our relationships are the context in which we learn to love. Our friends provide us magnifying glass vision into the sinners we are, showing us how bent we are on ensuring things go our way. Later when we marry, our spouse gives us microscope vision into our tendency to return love rather than show it regardless. If that's not enough, with the coming of children we're provided electron level vision into our selfishness-our commitment to personal comfort.
With children comes to privilege to really engage our need to love as a matter of choice. My children are easy to help in some ways but difficult to nurture in others. They are a case study in love; it's easy to like them on the ways they enrich my life and frown on them for the inconvenience they often bring. I'm learning more that the thrill and tire of child rearing is GOD'S way of really training me how to love. My Blaise is quick to say thank you, you're welcome, give loving head leans and wet kisses. On the other hand, he hates to listen and is as stubborn as a mule-he will not be denied what he wants. He is such an opportunity for me to learn what love means. Love is a beautiful choice that looks beyond the seen, choosing someone-not just the the good they do. We choose to love others for their place as heirs of the image of the Eternal. My Coen has such a huge heart-he's always concerned that daddy's okay, not used or taken advantage of-he has no greater joy found than in hugging me and playing with me. Yet, he questions everything and can win every argument. He will not rest until he's proven his case. I've learned that the seeming stubborn bents of both of my boys are beautiful. They are God's preparation of them for the difficult days they'll encounter ahead. Their strong love and innate stubbornness will help them bide difficult people and desperate times. I can say that my opportunity to be woven into their lives has been a wonderful case study in what it means to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment